Even the most organised house move will encounter problems. Do you best to calmly deal with these when they arise – make life as easy as possible for yourself by doing the following before you move:
- Have a clear out weeks/months before you pack. You could even do this before you start looking for a property so you can gauge how much storage space you will need and prepare for this. If you have organised, recently cleared cupboards – this will make packing everything much easier.
- Buy boxes or hire a company to do the packing for you. Trying to pack into irregular shaped or sized boxes will make life untidier and stressful during the move as old/used boxes will inevitably break and you will struggle to stack irregular boxes neatly.
- Label everything! Label boxes by what room they should be put into in your new home, and by number – which are most important and should be opened first versus which can be stacked neatly to open later.
- Alternatively hire a company who can pack and unpack everything for you to save on time/hassle. If you go down this route be sure to check their insurance policy for damaged/broken items during the move.
- Pack a holiday bag. Everyone knows it takes time to unpack and sort through boxes once you have moved. To make your life easier – pack a bag as if you are going on holiday which you move yourself to the new property. You can live out of this whilst you unpack everything else.
For more advice on buying a house, get in touch, or read our full guide:
Finding the right property – What do you want and how to find it
Costs – Before you make an offer consider all the associated costs
Making an offer – Out tips on securing your property
Choosing a solicitor – A vital part for an efficient purchase
Building survey – Why you need one and what to do if issues are raised
Measuring – Start planning your space before you move
Arranging to have work done before you move
Moving in – Practical advice to help organise your move
Settling in – Helping you get your house exactly as you’d like it