If you’re deciding between moving house and renovating your existing home, the financial facts are stark – the transaction costs, on top of the purchase price, are huge:
Stamp duty on a £1m property is £40,000;
Stamp duty on a £2m home is £140,000
You can do a lot of renovating for that…
BUT the prospect of renovating can be extremely daunting:
- Where do you start?
- Which experts do you need? (Architects, structural engineers, damp specialists…)
- Do you need permissions? (Planning permission, Listed Building Consent, freeholder approval)
- How do you decide layout/ design for new or reconfigured spaces?
- How do you choose fittings?
- When you start looking into the detail, things can seem even more intimidating – you’ve chosen the bath – now the taps, the tiles, the grout colour, the towel rail…
- Where to find quality, reliable but sensibly priced builders?
- How to find the time to organise everything?
- How long will it take and how disruptive will it be?
Organising renovations from start to finish is what we do – we’ll be delighted to discuss your potential renovation.
In the meantime, some tips to help:
- Organisation and pre-planning is key – to price, timing and smooth running of your renovation.
- Work out your budget, with a 10% contingency (15% if you live in an old house as you don’t know what you might find)
- Keep a file (physical, on your laptop, or on Pinterest) of images that inspire you
- Be realistic about timescales – most projects will involve several steps, undertaken by separate trade specialists, who have to work sequentially.
- Set up a timeline and monitor constantly
- Ensure extra jobs are priced and agreed in advance
And let us know if you need help firstname.lastname@example.org
Some useful links:
Pop an email to- email@example.com