Full redesign and project management of this spacious Kensington mews cottage, carried out for overseas owners with a taste for bold colours!
The clients knew they wanted a new kitchen and were not particularly satisfied with most other areas of their home! They were pleased with the overall layout and liked most of their existing furniture, carefully curated over decades of travel and experience. Essentially, they were torn between renovating and moving to a more modern flat.
We discussed the various possibilities, how these would be executed and what the clients would have to bear in mind in terms of design, budget and phasing. The clients already had a strong colour palette in the house and were keen to keep bright colours while, if possible, updating the overall feel.
We suggested a fairly full renovation and redecoration which the clients were quick to adopt:
- New custom made deVOL kitchen for which we designed tiling, work surfaces and lighting.
- Investigations into a tank in a lowered ceiling revealed an original ceiling with amazingly well-preserved original cornice and ceiling rose – we quickly stripped out the tank and made those a centre piece of the new kitchen.
- New central heating system and radiators throughout – we were able to source bespoke sprayed column radiators in a range of colours
- Redecoration and new bespoke fitted joinery in the bedrooms
- Successful treatment of a long-term damp problem to the below-ground vaulted bathroom and transformation of this space – from rather damp and dim to luxurious and beautifully lit.
- Successfully obtaining Listed Building Consent for and installing a new bespoke canopy for, and designing floor tiling to, the front walkway to create a framed entrance to the property.
We produced detailed designs of each space to ensure every aspect was used to its potential and worked out a careful plan to execute the works. The client had a vision for very decorative balustrades which our contractors were able to execute to very successful effect!
We had fun working with the clients to choose new lighting throughout and were very pleased to choose a selection of uber-designer and high street fittings – see if you can spot which is which.
The clients were very pleased with the transformation – not being people prone to being effusive we were delighted when they described it as ‘spectacular!
“As you can see, we were very pleased with how things turned out and were particularly impressed with the quality of the finish of the tiling and the decoration – the bannisters on the stairs are a work of art! Thanks – pretty spectacular.”