As the nights draw in and the scarves come back out, here’s some Danish advice on how to make your home cosy and welcoming this winter.
Denmark is the happiest country in the world- “worlds happiest countries named- CNN”
Despite having long cold winters. We think part of their secret is – Hygge
Hygge (pronounced “hoo-ga”) is roughly translated as ‘cosy’ and comes from a Norwegian word meaning ‘wellbeing’. However, it is a much wider concept, including lifestyle as well as aesthetics.
Essentially Hygge is creating a warm atmosphere – whether that be through meeting friends, having a lovely warm dinner, lighting a candle or wrapping up with a blanket in front of a fire.
Hygge also encapsulates-
- being kind to yourself
- allowing yourself time to relax
- time to recuperate and spend with friends and family
- Indulging and having a nice time (not punishing yourself/ setting unrealistic goals or denying yourself things which make you happy)!
How to achieve Hygge in the home-
- Create warm comfortable spaces – with contrasting/ natural textures wherever possible.
- Aim for homely and lived in spaces – with welcoming seating areas, artworks and accessories, avoiding stark open spaces or areas which are too neat and unwelcoming. (Remember homely doesn’t mean untidy – a welcoming space is always clean!)
- Use comfortable furnishings and accessories – chose comfy seats and lovely soft furnishings.
- Choose natural light or warm light – such as candles, fires, fairy lights and warm white light (no cool/ blue light). Install dimmable lights if possible to provide ambiance when relaxing/ watching TV.
- Build relaxing spaces – easy chairs, rugs and reachable storage for books or for putting down a mug of warm tea. Keep blankets accessible!
- Create a cocoon – a space to close the door/ pull down the screen on life and relax fully – somewhere away from outside noise and disturbance.
- Make a place to enjoy – filled with things which make you most happy/ relaxed- music, drinks, candles, friends!
We love this concept here at APM as we want our clients to have the most comfortable and fabulous homes possible. This concept, teamed with Biophilic design, can help make your home the most comfortable, happy place in your world.
Our top picks for Hygge inspired interiors- (with links to products)
For more ideas and examples visit our Hygge Pinterest board for our visual Hygge mood board.
If you’re keen to have Hygge in your home or help with any interior project- please get in touch. We’d be delighted to help!